Course Description :
Introduction to control problem
Industrial Control examples. Transfer function models of mechanical, electrical, thermal and hydraulic systems. System with dead-time. System response. Control hardware and their models: potentiometers, synchros, LVDT, dc and ac servomotors, tachogenerators, electro hydraulic valves, hydraulic servomotors, electropeumatic valves, pneumatic actuators. Closed-loop systems. Block diagram and signal flow graph analysis, transfer function.
Basic characteristics of feedback control systems
Stability, steady-state accuracy, transient accuracy, disturbance rejection, insensitivity and robustness. Basic modes of feedback control: proportional, integral and derivative. Feed-forward and multi-loop control configurations, stability concept, relative stability, Routh stability criterion.
Time response of second-order systems, steady-state errors and error constants. Performance specifications in time-domain. Root locus method of design. Lead and lag compensation.
Relationship between time & frequency response, Polar plots, Bode’s plot, stability in frequency domain, Nyquist plots. Nyquist stability criterion. Performance specifications in frequency-domain. Frequency-domain methods of design, Compensation & their realization in time & frequency domain. Lead and Lag compensation.
Op-amp based and digital implementation of compensators. Tuning of process controllers. State variable formulation and solution.
State variable Analysis
Concepts of state, state variable, state model, state models for linear continuous time functions, diagonalization of transfer function, solution of state equations, concept of controllability & observability.
Introduction to Optimal control & Nonlinear control
Optimal Control problem, Regulator problem, Output regulator, treking problem.
Nonlinear system – Basic concept & analysis.
Other Resources :
Other Electrical Engineering Courses
- Power System Operations and Control by IIT Kanpur
- Micro and Smart Systems by IISc Bangalore
- ECET 300 Circuit Analysis: Transform Methods by New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Advanced 3G and 4G Wireless Mobile Communications by IIT Kanpur
- Microcontroller student projects by Cornell University
- Energy Seminar by Stanford
- Electrical Machines - I by IIT Kharagpur
- Error Correcting Codes by IISc Bangalore
- Digital Integrated Circuits (IITMadras) by IIT Madras
- Dynamics of Physical System by IIT Kharagpur
» check out the complete list of Electrical Engineering Video lectures