Lecture Details :
Convective Heat and Mass Transfer by Prof. A.W. Date, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
This course assumes that the students have undergone UG courses in Engineering Mathematics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics and are familiar with the use of experimentally derived CORRELATIONS for estimating heat/mass transfer coefficient in a variety of flow situations. The purpose of this course is to justify the basis and the form of these correlations on the basis of fundamental transport laws governing heat/mass transfer.
The treatment is highly mathematical and, through assignments, students are expected to formulate and solve problems to derive expressions for the heat/mass transfer coefficient in different situations. The course will interest students wishing to embark on a research career in heat/mass transfer.
Definitions of Heat/Mass Transfer Coefficient, Main Flow Classifications, Transport Equations of Bulk Mass, Momentum, Energy and Sepcies transfer, Boundary Layer Theory and its approximations, Laminar and Turbulent External boundary layers with effects of Pressure Gradient, Wall thermal conditions, Viscous dissipation, Wall mass transfer. Similarity, Integral and Finite-difference solutions of boundary layer equations.
Developing Internal ( ducted ) flows within boundary layer approximations, Fully developed flows and heat transfer in non-circular ducts, use of superposition techniques. Turbulent Flows, laminar-turbulent transition, Universal law-of-the wall for smooth and rough surfaces, mixing-length and 2-equation models, the energy budget for boundary layer and fully-developed pipe flow.
Approximate theories of Mass Transfer , Stefan-Couette-Reynolds flow models, Applications to Inert mass transfer with and without heat transfer, Mass transfer with heterogeneous and homogeneous chemical reactions.
Other Resources :
Other Mechanical Courses
- Tribology by IIT Delhi
- Heat and Mass Transfer by IIT Bombay
- Manufacturing Processes II by IIT Kharagpur
- Applied Thermodynamics for Marine Systems by IIT Kharagpur
- Advanced Finite Elements Analysis by IIT Madras
- Engineering Fracture Mechanics by IIT Madras
- Project and Production Management by IIT Delhi
- Dynamics of Machines by IIT Kanpur
- Robotics by IIT Bombay
- Advanced Machining Processes by IIT Kanpur
» check out the complete list of Mechanical Video lectures
Mechanical Lecture Notes
- CIVE1400: Fluid Mechanics by University of Leeds
- Mechanical and Materials Engineering by Queens University
- MEEN 651 Control System Design by Texas A & M University
- Mechanical Drawings List by Other