Lecture Details :
Hydrostatics and Stability by Dr. Hari V. Warrior, Department of Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture, IIT Kharagpur. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
This is the first course for Naval Architecture students in 'Hydrostatics and Stability'. This course covers the basic principles of stability, starting from the Archimedes principle and going deeper into the conditions for stability of a vessel.
Study of metacentric height and radius gives an insight into Naval Architectural stability problem. A thorough study of the various weight shiftings which give rise to various forms of heeling are investigated. Conditions of free-surface effect and inclining experiment are studied.
This is followed by stability of the ship at larger angles of heel under various turning moments. The course then discusses about the various conditions of damaged stability, dry docking and launching calculations. A demonstration of the software 'SPAN' which performs these hydrostatic calculations will be demonstrated.
Contents: Hull form definition of ships and ocean structures; Deadweight, capacity and tonnage measurement; Numerical Integration, Hydrostatic calculations; Hydrostatic curves, Initial stability, free surface effects, stability at large angles; Intact and damaged stability computations; IMO stability criteria; Damaged stability and its calculation by lost buoyancy and added weight methods; Subdivision and floodable length calculations; Launching and dry docking calculations; Stability of fully submerged body; Stability of multibody systems; Pressure integration technique of computing hydrostatic and stability.
Other Resources :
Other Ocean Engineering Courses
- Advanced Marine Structures by IIT Madras
- Elements of Ocean Engineering by IIT Kharagpur
- Atmosphere, Ocean and Environmental Change by Yale
- Dynamics of Ocean Structures by IIT Madras
- Marine Hydrodynamics by IIT Kharagpur
- Health,Safety and Environmental Management in Petroleum and Offshore Engineering by IIT Madras
- Ocean Structures and Materials by IIT Madras
- Coastal Engineering by IIT Madras
- Design of Offshore Structures by IIT Madras
- Marine Construction and Welding by IIT Kharagpur
» check out the complete list of Ocean Engineering Video lectures