Lecture Details :
Quantum Mechanics and Applications by Prof. Ajoy Ghatak, Department of Physics, IIT Delhi. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Basic mathematical preliminaries:Dirac Delta function and Fourier Transforms.
Wave particle duality, one- and three- dimensional Schrödinger equation. The free particle problem in one dimension. Wave Packets and Group velocity.
One-dimensional problems: Potential well of infinite and finite depths, the linear harmonic oscillator.
Angular Momentum and rotation.
Three-dimensional Schrödinger equation: Particle in a box with applications to the free electron model. Particle in a spherically symmetric potential problem. The hydrogen atom and the deuteron.
(A numerical method to obtain solutions of the Schrödinger equation will also be discussed and a software to understand basic concepts in quantum mechanics will also be demonstrated).
Dirac’s bra - ket algebra; Linear Harmonic Oscillator problem using bra - ket algebra, creation and annihilation operators, transition to the classical oscillator, Coherent states.
The angular momentum problem, using bra - ket algebra, ladder operators and angular momentum matrices. The Stern Gerlach and magnetic resonance experiments. Addition of Angular Momenta and Clebsch Gordon coefficients.
Perturbation Theory with applications; The JWKB approximation with applications; Scattering Theory: Partial Wave Analysis.
Other Resources :
Other Physics Courses
- Gravity by Other
- Moment of Inertia by Other
- Fundamentals of Physics II by Yale
- Torque and Angular Momentum by Other
- Plasma Physics: Fundamentals and Applications by IIT Delhi
- Particle Physics: Basic Concepts by Stanford
- Physics I by Other
- Modern Physics: Statistical Mechanics by Stanford
- Projectile Motion by Other
- Physics 220 - General Physics II, Spring 2010 by University of Missouri Kansas City
» check out the complete list of Physics Video lectures
Physics Lecture Notes
- Physics of Thin Films by University of Colorado
- PHYS232: Elementary Physics II by Michigan State University
- PY106: Elementary Physics II by Duke University
- PHY121: Intro to Physics by Rochester University
- POLITICAL SCIENCE 229 The American Presidency by University of Illinois
- Applied Physics 216 Optical Physics and Quantum Electronics by Harvard
- Physics 252: Modern Physics by University of Virginia
- Phy202: Quantum Mechanics by University of Sheffield
- Quantum Mechanics I by University of Manchester
- Advanced Quantum Mechanics by Stolkholm University