Lecture Details :
Quantum Mechanics and Applications by Prof. Ajoy Ghatak, Department of Physics, IIT Delhi. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Basic mathematical preliminaries:Dirac Delta function and Fourier Transforms.
Wave particle duality, one- and three- dimensional Schrödinger equation. The free particle problem in one dimension. Wave Packets and Group velocity.
One-dimensional problems: Potential well of infinite and finite depths, the linear harmonic oscillator.
Angular Momentum and rotation.
Three-dimensional Schrödinger equation: Particle in a box with applications to the free electron model. Particle in a spherically symmetric potential problem. The hydrogen atom and the deuteron.
(A numerical method to obtain solutions of the Schrödinger equation will also be discussed and a software to understand basic concepts in quantum mechanics will also be demonstrated).
Dirac’s bra - ket algebra; Linear Harmonic Oscillator problem using bra - ket algebra, creation and annihilation operators, transition to the classical oscillator, Coherent states.
The angular momentum problem, using bra - ket algebra, ladder operators and angular momentum matrices. The Stern Gerlach and magnetic resonance experiments. Addition of Angular Momenta and Clebsch Gordon coefficients.
Perturbation Theory with applications; The JWKB approximation with applications; Scattering Theory: Partial Wave Analysis.
Other Resources :
Other Physics Courses
- Circular Motion by Other
- Capacitors by Other
- Physics 250:Physics for Scientists and Engineers-II by University of Missouri Kansas City
- Darwin's Legacy by Stanford
- Physics I by Other
- Engineering Physics II by IIT Kanpur
- Physics by Khan Academy
- Fundamentals of Physics III by Yale
- Physics I: Oscillations and Waves by IIT Kharagpur
- Essential Cosmology for the Next Generation by UC Berkeley
» check out the complete list of Physics Video lectures
Physics Lecture Notes
- PY106: Elementary Physics II by Duke University
- Physics of Thin Films by University of Colorado
- Phy202: Quantum Mechanics by University of Sheffield
- Advanced Quantum Mechanics by Stolkholm University
- POLITICAL SCIENCE 229 The American Presidency by University of Illinois
- PHYS232: Elementary Physics II by Michigan State University
- Applied Physics 216 Optical Physics and Quantum Electronics by Harvard
- Physics 1301 Introductory Physics by University of Winnipeg
- PHY121: Intro to Physics by Rochester University
- Quantum Mechanics I by University of Manchester