Lecture Details :
Quantum Mechanics and Applications by Prof. Ajoy Ghatak, Department of Physics, IIT Delhi. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Basic mathematical preliminaries:Dirac Delta function and Fourier Transforms.
Wave particle duality, one- and three- dimensional Schrödinger equation. The free particle problem in one dimension. Wave Packets and Group velocity.
One-dimensional problems: Potential well of infinite and finite depths, the linear harmonic oscillator.
Angular Momentum and rotation.
Three-dimensional Schrödinger equation: Particle in a box with applications to the free electron model. Particle in a spherically symmetric potential problem. The hydrogen atom and the deuteron.
(A numerical method to obtain solutions of the Schrödinger equation will also be discussed and a software to understand basic concepts in quantum mechanics will also be demonstrated).
Dirac’s bra - ket algebra; Linear Harmonic Oscillator problem using bra - ket algebra, creation and annihilation operators, transition to the classical oscillator, Coherent states.
The angular momentum problem, using bra - ket algebra, ladder operators and angular momentum matrices. The Stern Gerlach and magnetic resonance experiments. Addition of Angular Momenta and Clebsch Gordon coefficients.
Perturbation Theory with applications; The JWKB approximation with applications; Scattering Theory: Partial Wave Analysis.
Other Resources :
Other Physics Courses
- Physics 220 - General Physics II by University of Missouri Kansas City
- Physics for Future Presidents,Fall 2011 by UC Berkeley
- Topics in Nonlinear Dynamics by IIT Madras
- Electronics I by IIT Delhi
- The Fourier Transform and its Applications by Stanford
- Modern Physics: Statistical Mechanics by Stanford
- Selected Topics in Mathematical Physics by IIT Madras
- Nuclear Physics Fundamentals and Application by IIT Kanpur
- Physics 210 - General Physics I by University of Missouri Kansas City
- Electric Force by Other
» check out the complete list of Physics Video lectures
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer