Lecture Details :
Fuels Refractory and Furnaces by Prof. S. C. Koria, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, IIT Kanpur For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Conventional and newer sources of energy, Characterization of fuels: Analysis and calorific value with problems, Principles of conversion of fuels: Carbonization, Gasification and Hydrogenation, Principles of fuel combustion and Numerical problems.
Classification of refractories and their service properties, Manufacture of common refractory like silica, alumina, fireclay, dolomite, magnesite.
Types of furnaces and their role in high temperature applications, Fluid flow in furnaces: macroscopic energy balance and its application to Design of chimney and flow measuring devices
Heat transfer in furnaces: Conduction, convection and radiation with suitable examples to design refractory lining, and heating of load through flame and convection.
Flame temperature and heat utilization; concept of available heat and fuel consumption, Principles of waste heat recovery and design of heat exchangers and burners, Heat balance diagrams with illustrations, Fuel economy in industrial furnaces, Oxygen addition to combustion process, Energy efficient operation of furnaces with illustrations, Instrumentation and control in furnaces Concept of carbon credit (carbon-offset) and its relation with energy efficiency.
Other Resources :
Other Metallurgy and Material Science Courses
- Introduction to Biomaterials by IIT Kanpur
- Advanced Metallurgical Thermodynamics by IIT Madras
- Physics of Materials by IIT Madras
- Non-ferrous Extractive Metallurgy by IIT Kharagpur
- Electroceramics by IIT Kanpur
- Science and Technology of Polymers by IIT Kharagpur
- Steel Making by IIT Kanpur
- Advanced Materials and Processes by IIT Kharagpur
- Principles of Physical Metallurgy by IIT Kharagpur
- Materials and Energy Balance by IIT Kanpur
» check out the complete list of Metallurgy and Material Science Video lectures