Lecture Details :
Physics of Materials by Dr. Prathap Haridoss,Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering,IIT Madras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Introduction and Approach, Properties of materials and some important relationships, Free electron theory of metals, Drude model Electronic Conductivity, Drude model Thermal Conductivity - Ratio the Wiedemann Franz Law.
Maxwell Boltzmann Statistics, Limitations of the Drude model, Elementary quantum mechanics: History and Significant concepts, The Drude Sommerfeld model, Fermi Dirac statistics, Density of states, Fermi Energy and Fermi Surface, Improvements over Drude model, remaining limitations.
Specific heat, phonons, Real space Vs Recirpocal space, Diffraction condition and its significance for electron energy, Wigner Seitz cells, Brillouin zones, Band Theory, Density of occupied states, the origin of anisotropy.
Electrons and Holes, Classification of semiconductors, Direct Band gap, indirect Band gap, opto electronic materials, Magnetic properties, superconductivity, Meissner effect, Bose-Einstein Statistics, BCS theory, High temperature superconductors, physics of nano scale materials
Other Resources :
Other Metallurgy and Material Science Courses
- Science and Technology of Polymers by IIT Kharagpur
- Principles of Physical Metallurgy by IIT Kharagpur
- Introduction to Biomaterials by IIT Kanpur
- Advanced Materials and Processes by IIT Kharagpur
- Advanced Metallurgical Thermodynamics by IIT Madras
- Fuels Refractory and Furnaces by IIT Kanpur
- Materials and Energy Balance by IIT Kanpur
- Non-ferrous Extractive Metallurgy by IIT Kharagpur
- Steel Making by IIT Kanpur
» check out the complete list of Metallurgy and Material Science Video lectures
Metallurgy and Material Science Lecture Notes