Lecture Details :
Seakeeping and Manoeuvring by Dr.Debabrata Sen,Department of Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture,IIT Kharagpur. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Seakeeping : Regular water waves – definition of ship motions – single degree of freedom motions in regular waves – uncoupled heave, pitch and roll motions – coupled heave and pitch motions – irregular waves - description of long crested waves by 2D spectrum – ship motions in 2D irregular waves – description of short-crested sea – ship motions in 3D irregular waves – dynamic effects – deck-wetness, slamming, relative motions, sea-sickness etc. – added resistance in waves – roll stabilization
Manoeuvring : Types of directional stability - linear equations of motions in horizontal plane – hydrodynamic derivatives – stability index – standard manoeuvres – turning circle, zigzag, pullout and spiral manoeuvres – roll during turn – experimental determination of hydrodynamic derivatives – straight-line, rotating arm and PMM experiments – description of control surface (rudder) – control derivatives.
Other Resources :
Other Ocean Engineering Courses
- Health,Safety and Environmental Management in Petroleum and Offshore Engineering by IIT Madras
- Design of Offshore Structures by IIT Madras
- Ocean Structures and Materials by IIT Madras
- Ship Resistance and Propulsion by IIT Madras
- Atmosphere, Ocean and Environmental Change by Yale
- Foundation for Offshore Structures by IIT Madras
- Marine Construction and Welding by IIT Kharagpur
- Advanced Marine Structures by IIT Madras
- Hydrostatics and Stability by IIT Kharagpur
- Dynamics of Ocean Structures by IIT Madras
» check out the complete list of Ocean Engineering Video lectures
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer