Lecture Details :
High Performance Computer Architecture by Prof.Ajit Pal, Department Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Kharagpur. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Review of Basic Organization and Architectural Techniques:
RISC processors,Characteristics of RISC processors,RISC Vs CISC,Classification of Instruction Set Architectures,Review of performance measurements,Basic parallel processing techniques: instruction level, thread level and process level,Classification of parallel architectures.
Instruction Level Parallelism:
Basic concepts of pipelining,Arithmetic pipelines,Instruction pipelines,Hazards in a pipeline: structural, data, and control hazards,Overview of hazard resolution techniques,Dynamic instruction scheduling,Branch prediction techniques,Instruction-level parallelism using software approaches,Superscalar techniques,Speculative execution,Review of modern processors /*The objective is to explain how ILP
techniques have been deployed in modern processors*/,Pentium Processor: IA 32 and P6 microarchitectures,ARM Processor.
Basic concept of hierarchical memory organization,Main memories,Cache memory design and implementation,Virtual memory design and implementation,Secondary memory technology,RAID.
Bus structures and standards,Synchronous and asynchronous buses,Types and uses of storage devices,Interfacing I/O to the rest of the system,Reliability and availability,I/O system design,Platform architecture.
Thread Level Parallelism:
Centralized vs. distributed shared memory,Interconnection topologies,Multiprocessor architecture,Symmetric multiprocessors,Cache coherence problem,Synchronization,Memory consistency,Multicore architecture,Review of modern multiprocessors.
Process Level Parallelism:
Distributed computers,Clusters,Grid,Mainframe computers.
Other Resources :
Other Computer Science Courses
- Computer Science 61B by UC Berkeley
- CSEP 501 Compiler Construction by University of Washington
- Visual Basic by Other
- Computer System Engineering by MIT
- ECE5340 ECE6340 Numerical techniques in Electromagnetics by Other
- Python Programming by Other
- Computer Organization by IIT Madras
- CSEP 504 Advanced Topics in Software Systems by University of Washington
- Introduction to Computer Science and Programming by MIT
» check out the complete list of Computer Science Video lectures
Computer Science Lecture Notes
- CS 696 Emerging Technologies: Java Distributed Computing by UC San Diego
- CS345 Data Mining and Clustering by Stanford
- Pixels, Numbers, and Programs by University of Washington
- Introduction to Java Development by N/A
- CS368: Java for C++ Programmers by University of Wisconsin
- CSE 373/548: Analysis of Algorithms by Stony Brook University
- Software Engineering and Security by Athens University of Economics and Business
- CPS 140 Computer Science by Duke University
- Information Retrieval by University of Massachusetts