Lecture Details :
High Performance Computer Architecture by Prof.Ajit Pal, Department Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Kharagpur. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Review of Basic Organization and Architectural Techniques:
RISC processors,Characteristics of RISC processors,RISC Vs CISC,Classification of Instruction Set Architectures,Review of performance measurements,Basic parallel processing techniques: instruction level, thread level and process level,Classification of parallel architectures.
Instruction Level Parallelism:
Basic concepts of pipelining,Arithmetic pipelines,Instruction pipelines,Hazards in a pipeline: structural, data, and control hazards,Overview of hazard resolution techniques,Dynamic instruction scheduling,Branch prediction techniques,Instruction-level parallelism using software approaches,Superscalar techniques,Speculative execution,Review of modern processors /*The objective is to explain how ILP
techniques have been deployed in modern processors*/,Pentium Processor: IA 32 and P6 microarchitectures,ARM Processor.
Basic concept of hierarchical memory organization,Main memories,Cache memory design and implementation,Virtual memory design and implementation,Secondary memory technology,RAID.
Bus structures and standards,Synchronous and asynchronous buses,Types and uses of storage devices,Interfacing I/O to the rest of the system,Reliability and availability,I/O system design,Platform architecture.
Thread Level Parallelism:
Centralized vs. distributed shared memory,Interconnection topologies,Multiprocessor architecture,Symmetric multiprocessors,Cache coherence problem,Synchronization,Memory consistency,Multicore architecture,Review of modern multiprocessors.
Process Level Parallelism:
Distributed computers,Clusters,Grid,Mainframe computers.
Other Resources :
Other Computer Science Courses
- Machine Learning - CS 156 by University of California
- Compiler Design by IISc Bangalore
- Artificial Intelligence: Introduction to Robotics by Stanford
- Adobe Premiere Pro by Other
- Understanding Computers and the Internet by Harvard
- Low Power VLSI Circuits and Systems by IIT Kharagpur
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence,Fall 2011 by UC Berkeley
- iPhone Application Development (Winter 2010) by Stanford
- COMP1917 - Higher Computing by The University of New South Wales
- Digital Computer Organization by IIT Kharagpur
» check out the complete list of Computer Science Video lectures