Lecture Details :
Ship Resistance and Propulsion by Prof. V. Anantha Subramanian,Dr. P. Krishnankutty, Department of Ocean Engineering, IITMadras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Components of ship resistance, dimensional ananlysis, Froude's hypothesis and model analysis, frictional resistance, wave resistance, wind resistance; effect of bulbous bow and ship form on resistance, shallow water effects, added resistance.
Ship model tests and resistance data presentations, Prohaska's method ; Methodical series data - BSRA, Series 60; resistance of special types of hull forms and advanced marine vehicles.
Powering and efficiency components, screw propeller geometry, Propeller theories - momentum, blade element and circulation theories, vortex lattice method and CFD applications.
Dimensional analysis and similarities; Hull-propeller interaction; Open water and self-propulsion tests; Propeller cavitation - types, prevention, tests; Design of screw propellers - series charts, selection of engine.
Strength of propellers and manufacturing process; Powering of ships and sea-trials; Other types of propellers - shrouded, CPP, vertical axis, super-cavitating, podded, azimuth, podded propellers.
Other Resources :
Other Ocean Engineering Courses
- Dynamics of Ocean Structures by IIT Madras
- Elements of Ocean Engineering by IIT Kharagpur
- Health,Safety and Environmental Management in Petroleum and Offshore Engineering by IIT Madras
- Seakeeping and Manoeuvring by IIT Kharagpur
- Atmosphere, Ocean and Environmental Change by Yale
- Marine Construction and Welding by IIT Kharagpur
- Hydrostatics and Stability by IIT Kharagpur
- Ocean Structures and Materials by IIT Madras
- Design of Offshore Structures by IIT Madras
- Advanced Marine Structures by IIT Madras
» check out the complete list of Ocean Engineering Video lectures