Lecture Details :
Lecture Series on Hydraulics by Dr.Arup Kumar Sarma, Department of Civil Engineering,IIT Guwahati. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Introduction to Open Channel Flow: Difference between Open Channel Flow and Pipe Flow, Types of Channel, Geometric parameters of a channel, Classification of Open Channel Flow, Continuity and Momentum equation.
Uniform flow: Resistance flow formula, Velocity distribution, Equivalent roughness coefficient, Velocity coefficients, Uniform flow in rigid boundary channel, Uniform flow in mobile boundary channel.
Energy and Momentum Principle: Concept of Specific Energy, Critical Depth, Alternate depth, Specific Force, Sequent depth.
Non-Uniform Flow: Governing equation of GVF, Classification of Gradually Varied Flow, Computation of GVF profile, Rapidly Varied Flow, hydraulic Jump, Flow over a Hump, Flow in Channel Transition.
Canal Design: Concept of best hydraulic section, Design of rigid boundary canal, design of channel in alluvial formation- Kennedy’s theory, Lacy’s theory, Method of Tractive force, Free-board in canal.
Unsteady Flow: Wave and their classification, Celerity of wave, Surges, Characteristic equation.
Pipe Flow: Losses in pipes, Pipe in series and parallel, Pipe network analysis, Water hammer, Surge tank.
Hydraulic Model Study: Important dimensionless flow parameters, Similitude: Geometric, Kinematic and Dynamic Similarity, Model scales.
Other Resources :
Other Civil Engineering Courses
- Surveying by IIT Kanpur
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering by IIT Bombay
- Finite Element Analysis I by IIT Madras
- Geotechnical Measuements and Explorations by IIT Kanpur
- Mechanics of Solids by IIT Madras
- Water Resources Engineering by IIT Kanpur
- Structural Analysis II by IIT Bombay
- Advanced Foundation Engineering by IIT Kharagpur
- Architecture Studio: Building in Landscapes by MIT
- Transportation Engineering II by IIT Roorkee
» check out the complete list of Civil Engineering Video lectures