Course Description :
Introduction; Origin of soils; Basic Relationships; Properties of Soil Aggregate, Soil Structure; Soil Classification.
Soil Compaction; Laboratory compaction; Factors affecting soil compaction; Field compaction.
Concept of Effective Stress.
Flow through soils; Quick Sand condition; Permeability and methods for its determination; Flownets.
Stresses in soil from surface loads; Boussinesq theory; Newmark’s chart.
Consolidation of soils; Settlement of compressible soil layers; Sand drains.
Shear strength; Mohr circle of stress; Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion; Estimation of shear strength parameters; Stress paths.
Earth Pressure theories- Retaining walls; Anchored bulkheads.
Stability of slopes; Infinite/Finite Slope Stability Analysis.
Other Resources :
Other Civil Engineering Courses
- Geosynthetics Engineering : In Theory and Practice by IIT Bombay
- Introduction to Transportation Engineering by IIT Kharagpur
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering by IIT Bombay
- Surveying by IIT Kanpur
- Strength of Materials by IIT Kharagpur
- Advanced Structural Analysis by IIT Madras
- Fluid Mechanics by IIT Bombay
- Architecture Studio: Building in Landscapes by MIT
- MIT 4.370 Interrogative Design Workshop by MIT
- Transportation Engineering II by IIT Roorkee
» check out the complete list of Civil Engineering Video lectures
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer