Online courses are designed in such a way that their knowledge sharing is profitable, desirable, significant, relevant, and meritorious to students. But there are courses online which, though have significance, are surprising and weird. They are subjects which you would not have even thought of getting trained on. Now check these weird online courses
- Antiquities trafficking and Art Crime: The University of Glasgow has developed this course and is available free online. You will learn the social, political, and moral issues associated with the trafficking of antiques and what is the idea and criminological aspect behind the crime. The tutor is none other than Donna Yates, an Archaeologist in criminology.
- Why We Post-The Anthropology of Social Media: Social media is the talk of the century, but ever thought what their impacts are and why do we post on social media. Find out the same in this free online course, which basically teaches you on the various uses and its consequences of social media. Duration of the course is five weeks and is developed by UCL.
- Babies in Mind- Why the Parent’s Mind Matters: This free online course designed by the University of Warwick, and taught by Jane Barlow- Director of Warwick Infant and Family Wellbeing Unit, and Dawn Cannon- Course Director for Infant Mental Health Online is based on why and what are the influence of parent’s thoughts and minds during pregnancy, on the unborn baby. The course elaborates the concepts of the psychology related to the infant and how parents influence that.
- Lottery of Birth: Study as to where, when, and to whom you were born has affected or can affect the course of your life. How you are being born at a particular time, place, location. Society, community, gender and nation can influence your life? The duration of the course is four weeks and is developed by the Open University UK.
- Death: The philosophy of the truth of life- Death is being transformed into a free online course by Yale University and is very fascinatingly presented by Professor Shelly Kagan. He, in a very philosophical manner, takes the twice a week, 50 minute class and throws light on subjects like immortality, attitudes towards death, death and evil and much more.
- Music as Biology: Created by the Duke University with Daul Purves this free online course defines in detail how sound, its tone can trigger human emotions? Which tone sets the positive emotions and which are the causes of mind diverting in the not so positive frame? How the mechanics of sound get correlated with the biological sensory stimulus? The perception of sound and its tonalities are discussed in this course and explanations on why we like certain scales and not others? The effect of socioeconomic cultures of music and human emotions are described in the course.
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism: The twenty-two weeks-long free online course is developed by the Georgetown University and is being created by Jonathan Brown and Daniel Byman. It primarily explores the differentiation of defining terrorism, different philosophies followed by terrorist groups like – Al Qaeda, the ISIS, the Hamas and much The course allows takes you through the technology used by the terrorist, their recruitment process, and how counterterrorism under the rule of law is undertaken.
- Understanding the Origins of Crime: The course deals with the selection of crime as a profession or by chance or may a natural process, by an individual. It discusses the reason as to how criminals take crime as a natural selection? It deals with the process of this selection and what is the behavior of the criminal and how you can predict that. The four-week long course is developed by the Griffith University with Aaron Sell and is available as a free online course.
- Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data: This astoundingly weird course is designed by the University of Washington and has Carl T. Bergstrom and Jevin West as the instructors. The objective of the course is to recognize bullshit and deactivate it. The basis that the world is full of bullshit and you must be armed accordingly to fight them back. You must be in a position to figure out what kind of bullshit you are encountering and why the same is bullshit. Once done, you must frame a satisfactory explanation to counter it.
The need of all these online courses can only be justified when the benefits are reaped by the students. Nevertheless, everything has a flip side to it and its utility can only decide the significance. Any course taken with a target, a positive attitude and learned properly will surely provide dividends.
Online Learning- Flourishing
With the birth of online learning in the 80’s, it has drastically changed the training industry and is showing rapid progress and evolution.
Thousands of free online courses are offered by universities like MITOCW, MOOC providers like edX, Coursera, FutureLearn and NovoEd.
Organizations prefer online training and development courses for their staff to save massively on cost and time, and at the same time sharpen their skill-sets. Fortune 500 firms organized 73.6% of their technology-delivered training through online methods (workforce.com). 28.1% revenue (that is $56.2 billion out of the total $200 billion) of the corporate training industry comes from eLearning (Global Industry Analysts).
Though online learning is totally different from traditional classroom training in terms of attending classes and interacting with trainers & students, it is no different when it comes to actual learning. It comes with its own challenges in the time of distraction. Either you are a beginner or advanced learner, there are few things which should be avoided while learning online to get maximum benefit out of it.
- Enrolling without Complete Info: A common mistake made by students, sometimes even by professionals, is to enroll, just because someone referred or is pursuing that certification. You must not do this, as your goal, caliber, knowledge; future plans for career progression and affordability may or may not match with someone else’s. Even if you want to pursue a specific course you must go through the complete information on the course, match it with your needs, and verify its accreditation, market value and the support services they extend. There can be another academic advisor whose programs has a better marketability than yours.
- Wait or take things for granted: The beauty of the online ecosystem is that nobody is visible, so you must feel the presence and show your presence to your academic advisor. You must ask a lot of questions, doubts, information and queries. You must explore the possibilities and opportunities of finding answers from websites like stackoverflow, Quora and other forums as well. Another beauty of online learning is, flexibility in timings, you get your answers anytime, any day even midnight.
- Surrender to Procrastination: Chances of developing procrastination are quite high unless you have a fixed scheduled time every day, just like a traditional classroom hours. This makes you stick to the plan & develop a habit of persistence as well. Along with having a scheduled time, you also need to make sure you turn off notifications on phone especially social media notifications. Plan your day and schedule your study time so that you do not stay behind.
- Feel alone: It is usually felt that when you are learning online you are alone. The fact is you are not alone, but have hundreds and thousands of similar people doing the course, instructors and advisors. The benefits of interacting with others is, you get new information, share ideas, concepts and grasp concepts faster. When you do not do you miss learning new and innovative things. Try to socialize in this environment to learn better and faster. Do not limit yourself; explore things, people, groups who can enrich your online learnings. This is also a way by which you can resolve or clarify and question or query.
- Do Not Celebrate: People get bored and lose interest slowly while learning online. The Very common reason behind it is they do not celebrate their accomplishments. You must celebrate your achievements, even if they are small, like finishing a chapter which you felt was quite lengthy and tough. Like how you managed to complete a field activity, without hampering your daily official responsibilities. All these will keep you motivated and you will elevate your mood and rejuvenate yourself. In the ecosystem of online learning, the possibilities of getting praised are very minuscule.
Your decision to opt for an e-learning course can get you dividends only when the direction chosen is correct and you follow the order. Your sense of commitment, time-management, self motivation and temperament are the key to learn things faster, smoother and adapt to learning online effectively. You just must align all these to the online learning ecosystem.
Spring or Winter 2011 semister is just started, so are the online videos from major universities. These are complete video courses i.e all the lectures are made available by the time course is over. Some universities make the lectures available on the same or the next day of the class. You can subscribe to the courses by mail or feed and learn along with them. Both the video and audio of the lectures are available for free download.
Has 30 video and close to 50 audio courses. You can download all the lectures. Check out here.
UC San Deigo
Has 18 video and more than 70 audio courses. All theses courses can also be accessed through iTunes as well.
Mostly about chemisty related subjects. Has close to 20 courses. Find all here.
If you know any other courses, please add them in the comment section.
Find more free online courses