Lecture Details :
Introduction to Theory of Literature (ENGL 300)
In this first lecture, Professor Paul Fry explores the course's title in three parts. The relationship between theory and philosophy, the question of what literature is and does, and what constitutes an introduction are interrogated. The professor then situates the emergence of literary theory in the history of modern criticism and, through an analysis of major thinkers such as Marx, Nietzsche, and Freud, provides antecedents for twentieth-century theoretical developments.
00:00 - Chapter 1. Introduction
04:29 - Chapter 2. Theory and Philosophy
10:08 - Chapter 3. What Is Literature?
13:10 - Chapter 4. The Idea of an "Introduction"
18:11 - Chapter 5. Literary Theory and the History of Modern Criticism
32:10 - Chapter 6. The Hermeneutics of Suspicion
Complete course materials are available at the Open Yale Courses website: http://open.yale.edu/courses
This course was recorded in Spring 2009.
Course Description :
Introduction - Ways In and Out of the Hermeneutic Circle - Configurative Reading - The Idea of the Autonomous Artwork - The New Criticism and Other Western Formalisms - Russian Formalism - Semiotics and Structuralism - Linguistics and Literature - Deconstruction - Freud and Fiction - Jacques Lacan in Theory - Influence - The Postmodern Psyche - The Social Permeability of Reader and Text - The Frankfurt School of Critical Theory - The Political Unconscious - The New Historicism - The Classical Feminist Tradition - African-American Criticism - Post-Colonial Criticism - Queer Theory and Gender Performativity - The Institutional Construction of Literary Study - The End of Theory?; Neo-Pragmatism - Reflections; Who Doesn't Hate Theory Now?
Other Resources :
iTunes Audio |Syllabus | Citation |
Other Literature Courses
- English Language and Literature by IIT Guwahati
- The American Novel Since 1945 by Yale
- New Testament History and Literature by Yale
- Milton by Yale
- Nobel Prize Winners in Literature by University of Houston
- The Contemporary Novel: Magical Realism by University of Houston
- Understanding Creativity and Creative Writing by IIT Bombay
- Dante in Translation by Yale
- Masterpieces of British Literature to the Eighteenth Century by University of Houston
- Literature of the Restoration, 18th Century by University of Houston
» check out the complete list of Literature lectures