Lecture Details :
Numerical methods of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations by Prof. Dr. G.P. Raja Sekhar, Department of Mathematics, IITKharagpur. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Course Description :
Initial Value Problems (IVP) and existence theorem. Truncation error, deriving finite difference equations - Single step methods for I order IVP- Taylor series method, Euler method, Picardís method of successive approximation - Runge Kutta Methods. Stability of single step methods - Multi step methods for I order IVP - Predictor-Corrector method, Euler PC method, Milne and Adams Moulton PC method.
Stability of multi step methods, root condition - System of first order ODE, higher order IVPs - Linear Boundary Value Problems (BVP), finite difference methods, shooting methods, stability, error and convergence analysis - Non linear BVP, higher order BVP - Classification of PDEs, Finite difference approximations to partial derivatives - Solution of one dimensional heat conduction equation by Explicit and Implicit schemes (Schmidt and Crank Nicolson methods ), stability and convergence criteria.
Laplace equation using standard five point formula and diagonal five point formula, Iterative methods for solving the linear systems - Hyperbolic equation, explicit / implicit schemes, method of characteristics. Solution of wave equation - Solution of I order Hyperbolic equation. Von Neumann stability - In hand for some topics to be revised
Other Resources :
Other Mathematics Courses
- Mathematical Methods for Engineers II by MIT
- Mathematics for Finance and Actuarial Studies 2 by Other
- Multivariable Calculus by MIT
- Engineering Mathematics by The University of New South Wales
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics,Fall 2011 by UC Berkeley
- Analytic Geometry and Calculus,Fall 2011 by UC Berkeley
- Laplace transforms by Other
- Differential equations III by Other
- Math 65 - Introductory Algebra-2nd Term by Portland Community College
- Linear programming and Extensions by IIT Kanpur
» check out the complete list of Mathematics Video lectures
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer