Linux is an operating system just like Windows XP, Windows 10/7/8 and Mac OS X. It is the most popular open source Operating System means any person, with required skills, can edit, modify & create a new version of the Linux.
Linux is considered as most secure & stable Operating System. Android OS was built on top of Linux Kernel. More than 70% of the web & Cloud servers run Linux today.
When it comes to job opportunities, there is always high requirement for Linux Server Administrators as demand for Cloud computing is on the raise.
So Learning Linux Online is easy & make you ready for the large number of job opportunities.
Free Linux Courses:
This self-paced course on edX platform, offered by Linux foundation, helps to develop a good working knowledge of Linux using both the graphical interface and command line, covering the major Linux distribution families.
What you will learn as part of this course is
- A good working knowledge of Linux
- How to navigate through major Linux distributions
- System configurations and graphical interface of Linux
- Basic command line operations
- Common applications of Linux
More than 250,000+ students have enrolled so far. This course is Free to learn, but you can get a verified certificate for $99.
This is a beginner course which helps you understand & setup both Linux & Windows server.
At the end of the course, you will be able to learn
- Understand Virtual Machines
- Understand which platform is better i.e Linux or Windows
- Basics of Linux
- Good understanding of Linux Terminal
- Installation & configuration of Linux Ubuntu Server
- Installation & configuration of windows server etc..
This course helps you get the knowledge you need to start a career in Linux or to get a promotion.
At the end of the course you will learn
- What is Linux & Linux distribution
- How to use SSH
- Frequently used Linux Commands
- Handling directories & files on Linux server like creating, editing, deleting, searching & comparing.
- Understanding piping concepts etc…
This course is offered by Udemy with 30-day money back Guarantee !!
If you aim to become a Linux server administrator this course is a perfect fit for you. It is being offered by University of Colorado System on Coursera.
In this course, you can learn
- What Linux is used on enterprise environment
- How to configure a Linux system & understand Linux Commands
- Understand authentication mechanisms in Linux & User controls and Management
- How to secure your Linux Server
This is a free course on Coursera, but you can get a verified certificate at a nominal cost.
Websites to Learn Linux Online:
- Linux programming : This can be your starting point for learning how to develop Linux programs and administer Linux systems. It also has a detailed explanation for some of the FAQ’s like why is LINUX important, the difference between Linux and UNIX etc.
- Norm Matloff’s UNIX and Linux Tutorial Centre : Norm Matloff, a professor of Computer Science, written a variety of free Linux and UNIX tutorials for independent study. In addition to presentations providing guidance for complete beginners (including help installing Linux on your machine), he includes more advanced information.
- The complete beginners guide to Linux : Linux is actually everywhere. It’s in your phones, in your cars, in your refrigerators, your Roku devices. It runs most of the Internet, the supercomputers making scientific breakthroughs, and the world’s stock exchanges. But before Linux became the platform to run desktops, servers, and embedded systems across the globe, it was (and still is) one of the most reliable, secure, and worry-free operating systems available. Learn more about it here.
- Linux Security for Beginners : This free course from Linuxtopia helps beginners navigate Linux security. It explores everything firewalls, wireless security, and more. A great resource for anyone interested in learning how to use Linux safely and securely.
- Linux basic concepts : Some more additional tutorials to teach the basic concepts are available here.
YouTube playlists for learning Linux:
- Linux Lecture series on YouTube
- Another popular tutorial series is available by Eli the computer guy.
- Yet another LINUX Beginner tutorial here
- Linux fundamentals by Dancourses
Free Linux Books
- The LINUX Command line by William Shots. In addition to the basics of command line use and shell scripting, The Linux Command Line includes chapters on many common programs used on the command line, as well as more advanced topics.
- Getting started guide to Linux: Linux is way cheaper, faster, safer, and has a far bigger active community than Windows. Like many things, venturing of into a completely unknown world can seem rather scary, and also be pretty difficult in the beginning. This guide to Linux helps you sail through smoothly.
- Linux Introduction: This is a hands-on-guide step by step book by Machtelt Garrels.
- Introduction to Linux: This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
- A Newbie’s getting started to Linux: This book helps you in getting acquainted yourself with the experimental side. If you are new to Linux and want quick and easy access to get started with it than this is it.
- User mode Linux: Written by Jeff Dike, this is a free eBook from Bruce Perens’ Open Source Series. User Mode Linux (UML) is a virtual Linux machine that runs on Linux. Technically, UML is a port of Linux to Linux.